What is POMEmag?
POMEmag is an internet magazine for witchy goofballs that are also big huge nerds. We publish smart, strange content for thoughtful and sensitive weirdos. The internet is full of publications explicitly for folks who spend a lot of time getting to know the host’s dog at any given party. And hey: it us. But we’re also:
- The person aggressively dancing to the Star Wars cantina theme at a New Year’s Eve party
- The friend you recommend books to who actually reads them (uh, mostly)
- The coworker who remembers your birthday
POMEmag is owned, operated, and financed by crones and honorary crones exclusively. Our contributors receive a small honorarium for their work. Find out more about supporting POMEmag here.
You can also subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to hear about the divinations, portent, news, and events we’re brewing up next.
What is POMEmag About?
We publish whatever we think is interesting — from pop culture analysis to political rants to quizzes about the end of the world. We are a feminist publication full of dweebs who consume a lot of media and have a lot of Feelings about the state of this desolate mortal plane we all share.
Why does POMEmag exist?
In 2014, two aspiring crones decided to live in an alternate reality where literally everybody in the world thinks comics and feelings are both really, really important. Fueled by this unified vision, they started POMEmag and slowly enticed kindhearted, like-minded weirdos to this cause.
Co-Founder / Boss Crone
Rachel is all three aspects of the triple goddess at the same time. She spends her free time hanging out with her dog, cackling and hexing people who wear shirts with font names on them.
Co-Founder / HCIC (Head Crone in Charge)
If you prick your finger and write “Cat Fancy” on your mirror in blood during a harvest moon, Carolynn will appear behind you and make you put human clothes on your pets.
Jenny is just a Silly Nerd with a lot of Feelings about Comic Books and Friendship and also This Capitalist Yoke We All Share; she enjoys Dogs and Sleeping and Cartoons. Her three favorite words are: Breakfast All Day.
Ashley is a 100% organic mansplain repellent and the co-host of Moon Podcast Power MAKE UP!! She enjoys oversharing her bodily functions and headcanoning her favorite fictional characters queer.
- Articles / essays / reviews
- Short comics or strips
- Satirical or humorous articles
- Personal work about significant events
- Material aimed at teaching useful things (DIY)
- Critical examinations of current events
- Multimedia projects — i.e. podcasts, video series, games, songs, or other media that falls within our content niche (Please note that podcast submissions are closed at this time)
- Should be thoughtful & sincere
- Should have a strong voice and purpose
- Can be humorous but don’t have to be
- Can be about pretty much anything, seriously, try us
- Do not have length requirements (but our content generally ranges from 700-1200 words)
We do not publish:
- Vindictive, offensive, or needlessly cruel content — we love weird stuff, but hate petty, mean stuff
- News articles that lack in-depth analysis of the covered event (i.e. “newsjacking”)
- Any content that is not original or has been posted elsewhere (including personal blogs)
Do you want to do a very small capitalism & make money doing stuff for us? Cool, because POMEmag provides modest compensation to all of our writers and artists.
If you are interested in contributing to POMEmag, you can submit a pitch to us at email@example.com.
Here’s how it goes:
- Send us a pitch or a draft to review — please note that we only accept original content that does not appear elsewhere on the internet. However, we are more than willing to discuss this policy on a case-by-case basis.
- One of our editorial crones will let you know if it is something we’re looking for.
- All work published on POMEmag goes through our editorial process, regardless of whether or not the work has been completed, to insure that it is consistent with POMEmag’s in-house style.
- Then you get a small capitalism in the mail within one month of your submission’s publication.
Please contact POMEmag for additional information about our submissions process.
Can I throw money at the POMEmag coven?
You certainly can! Throw your money at us over on our Support POME page.