ETERNAL WITCHCRAFT Submissions Guidelines
Details and guidelines for your ETERNAL WITCHCRAFT submission
October 7, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Calling all Crones, calling all Crones! Today, we announce our newest project here at POMEpress: Eternal Witchcraft!
We’ve done spellbooks in the past, but this time, we’re going FULL CRONE. And as any Crone can tell you: the best things in life are a little of what you know and a little of what you don’t; likewise, Eternal Witchcraft is part compilation, part fresh #crone-tent. We’re collecting a few comics from our best-selling (and now out-of-print) Pocket Spellbooks, Charismatic Witchcraft and Sensible Witchcraft, and partnering them up with all-new comics in the ultimate grimoire for every witch, no matter where they are on their Maiden-Mother-Crone journey.
Eternal Witchcraft will be a Comics Spellbook. That means it will be a collection of comics that each show the reader how to do a spell or how to create their own spell. We know that every reader is going to be at a different place in their craft, so we’re looking for instructional comics on spells for Crones and aspiring Crones alike!
Submissions must be comics that range from 3-7 pages. Types of witchcraft we’re encouraging include but are not limited to:
- Simple tarot spreads
- Wards of protection
- Relatively benign hexes or curses
We are NOT looking for:
- Malicious hexes (no killin’, etc)
- Curses against specific people
- Love spells/potions for making a person fall in love with you; just don’t do it
- Prose submissions
Submissions must follow these specifications:
- Art should be in black & white/grayscale
- Final trim size: 5in x 8in
- Trim + bleed size: 5.5in x 8.5in
- Safe-zone margin: 0.5in all the way around
Dates and Editorial Guidelines
- Eternal Witchcraft submission applications close on October 31, 2018 at 11:59PM CST.
- Eternal Witchcraft’s publication date will be May 2019.
- If your submission is chosen, we will send you a follow-up email with editorial deadlines.
Submission Application Guidelines
Submissions to this anthology will require the following items/attachments:
- The title of your comic
- Your pitch: a short summary of what the spell/hex/instruction will be for or about and how you intend to present the information — a narrator, a narrative, etc. — as well as the total number of pages
- Identifying info for all creators involved, including names, email addresses, and a short bio for each.
- At least one rough character sketch or piece of concept art — does not need to be inked; we just want to get an idea of what you’d like to do.
- Links to samples of previous sequential work. Bonus points for work that is complete or finished!
- Please be sure that links to dropbox or GDrive folders are public (not password protected) and will not expire. This gives our editorial team time to review your work.
- Failure to follow these guidelines will result in disqualification.
To submit your pitch, please fill our submission form.
- This is a paid project. We will be paying $50/page per creative team.
- After the success of the GROUP CHAT Kickstarter, we are also planning a Kickstarter for ETERNAL WITCHCRAFT, and we will include stretch goals for increasing the page rate.
- If your creative team includes multiple creators, we will issue the check to one individual and allow you to determine how best to divide it.
- In addition to payment, we will offer you 10 comp copies for you to sell or distribute however you want.
- You will be able to purchase additional copies of this book for half of its final cover price.
All of the works that run in Eternal Witchcraft will be creator-owned. However, we ask for first publication rights for one year after publication. After that point, POMEpress reserves general publishing rights in perpetuity. Basically: during the first year, POMEpress has the sole authority to reprint Eternal Witchcraft (online or in print). After the first year, you can reprint your submission, sell it online, or submit it to another publication. However, POMEpress will also reprint and sell Eternal Witchcraft as a whole. POMEpress will not publish the new comics in Eternal Witchcraft on our website — this is a print-exclusive project.
We are only looking for original content created for this publication. We are not accepting submissions for previously printed or digitally published work.
You must be 18 years old or older to submit to this anthology.
Can I submit a prose/poetry piece to this anthology?
No. This is a comics anthology.
Can I submit a narrative comic?
No. This is an anthology of instructional comics.
Can I submit an illustration to this anthology?
No. We are looking for comics only.
I’d like to do a curse spell. What kind of curses am I allowed to do??? (Can they be about: murders???)
We’re so glad you asked! We will be accepting curses on a case-by-case basis. Curses should be relatively benign — no murders or curses against specific people, please — but for the first time in our spellbook series’ history, we’ll allow them.
Why can’t I do a love potion?
If you have to ask, please do not submit to this book.
How sexy/violent can my comic be? (i.e. Can I show a nipple or just partial boob?, etc)
Consider this book PG13+; however, if you are asking this question, your pitch might not be in the vein of what we are looking for. Mild swearing is okay; f-bombs and exploding heads, not so much.
Does my spell need to work? Like real magic?
We will not be performing any magical quality-assurance. We leave that in your capable, gnarled hands.
My creative team includes multiple creators/an artist and a writer/etc. Will we both receive financial compensation?
We will issue a check for $50/page to one member of your creative team. We leave it to you to divide it accordingly.
How many pitches can I submit?
You can submit more than one, but only one project per creative team will be accepted.
Are you actually witches?
Well, what do you think?
SOME FINAL THOUGHTS:
After the success of GROUP CHAT last year, we at POME have been itching to bring you more of the sweet, sweet comics content you crave. Eternal Witchcraft is a perfect blend of where we have been and where we are going, and we’re so excited to share it with you! We want to give a huge thanks to everyone who has been on this Pocket Spellbook journey with us so far, and we’re looking forward to meeting the folks we’ll be working with for the first time!